Recruitment Privacy Notice
At Unilever we are committed to protecting the personal data of individuals. This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) offers information about Unilever processing your personal data in the context of the recruitment process. For example, it applies to individuals who apply to work for or register in a talent community, attend a recruitment event, undertake an evaluation with Unilever or participate in other recruitment processes (‘Applicants’).
The aim of this site is to provide you with additional information on what personal data we process, why we process your personal data and what privacy principles we abide by, as well as informing you of the rights you can exercise in relation to your personal data.
Note: For key Privacy terms in Unilever’s privacy policies, notices and procedures, please refer to the key terms .
Any personal data provided to or collected by Unilever is controlled by Unilever. To find more information about Unilever’s privacy practices for Recruitment purposes in a specific country, please get in touch with your local HR department.
The Chief Data Protection Officer (“CPO”) can be contacted at Unilever N.V., Weena 455, PO Box 760 3000 DK Rotterdam, the Netherlands. For any questions relating to the processing and protection of your personal data, you can contact your (local) HR department.
Personal data collected directly from you
As part of a recruitment process and your application for a position with Unilever, we will collect personal data about you in order to progress your application for employment with Unilever (including your name, email address, telephone number, address, your academic and professional qualifications and experiences, etc.). You may choose to import information about yourself from other websites (for example, from LinkedIn).
Special categories of personal data
As part of your application, you may provide sensitive personal data (for more information please refer to our key terms), often referred to as special categories of personal data (for example, information relating to your race or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, criminal records, physical or mental health, biometric information, or sexual orientation.) If you do provide sensitive personal data, you do so voluntarily and agree that such information may be used as described in this Recruitment Privacy Notice.
We process these special categories of personal data in limited circumstances and in accordance with applicable privacy law.
Personal data collected from third parties
We may also collect personal data provided by third parties via referrals, recruitment agencies, background screening providers etc.
We may use the personal data that we collect or obtain about you for:
· Profile management: We may process personal data to manage your profile in our recruitment systems so that we can provide current and future job opportunities, tailoring the content we provide you, based on your skills, interests, location, etc.
· Pre-screening: We check that you can lawfully enter into a contract and fulfil the essential job criteria e.g. you have the relevant work authorisation and have answered job specific screening questions. This process may be automated.
- Profile Evaluation:
- Profile review: To assist our recruitment staff identify potential candidates, your profile (work experience, qualifications etc.) may be evaluated and ranked using a customized machine learning model.
- Gamification: You may be invited to play a set of neuroscience games which collect objective behavioural data and evaluate it, using Unilever customised machine learning models, to predict your potential for the role which you have applied for, by comparing you against a benchmark.
- Video interview: You may be invited to a video interview to answer a set of pre-defined questions. A machine learning model analyses the recorded videos, comparing you against a benchmark and thereby evaluates your suitability for the role for which you have applied. All profile evaluation tools are regularly tested to confirm they have used fair and unbiased criteria.
- Personal interview: When you are invited for a physical or video conferencing interview (e.g. Skype), the interviewer may ask relevant questions to assess your suitability for the role.
· Communication: We may use a chatbot for answering recruitment related queries, sending communications & scheduling interviews.
· Statistical research: We perform general statistical research using your data and data of other candidates to analyse the effectiveness of our selection process and we use aggregated information to create reports. This may include processing session data on online visitor activity.
We do not hire individuals solely based on automated processing. Where automatic processing supports the recruitment process, you may have the right to request human intervention, contest an outcome that has resulted from automated processing and express your point of view.
- Profile Evaluation:
We will retain your personal data for as long as is considered necessary for the purpose(s) for which it was collected (including as required by applicable law or regulation). If your application is unsuccessful, Unilever may retain and use the information you provided to us for a reasonable period of time to deal with any matter which may arise in connection with your application , for contacting you regarding other employment opportunities, and for Unilever’s legitimate business purposes. Where personal data is no longer necessary or relevant for our identified purposes or where you have indicated that you are no longer interested in staying in contact with us, we will securely dispose of your personal data.
We may share your personal data for purposes related to the recruitment process with:
· Other companies within the Unilever Group, including with those which may be located outside of your location and/or the Economic European Area (“EEA”);
· Authorized third party agents, service providers and/or subcontractors of Unilever and in particular authorised third parties who carry out reference and background checks on behalf of Unilever; and
· Competent public authorities, government, regulatory or fiscal agencies, to comply with a legal obligation.
International data transfers
We may transfer personal data internationally. If we do transfer personal data abroad, Unilever will make sure that the personal data is protected with a similar level of protection as required by law in its country of origin.
If we do transfer personal data to outside of the EEA, Unilever will make sure that it is protected in the same way as if it was being used in the EEA. We’ll use one of the following safeguards:
- Transfer to a non-EEA country whose privacy legislation ensures an adequate level of protection of personal data to the EEA country;
- Put in place a contract with the third-party that means they must protect personal data to the same standards as the EEA; or
- Transfer personal data to organisations that are part of specific agreements on cross-border data transfers with the EEA; or
- Transfer personal data to organisations that have adopted other appropriate safeguards, such as e.g. binding corporate rules, an approved code of conduct or an approved certification mechanism.
You may have certain rights under your local law in relation to the personal data we hold about you. In particular, you may have a right to:
· to be informed about the collection and use of your personal data;
· request a copy of personal data we hold about you;
· request that we update the personal data we hold about you, or correct such personal data that you think is incorrect or incomplete;
· request that we delete personal data that we hold about you, or restrict the way in which we use such personal data;
· request that we restrict our processing or you may object to our processing of your personal data
· request that you will not be evaluated solely on the basis of automated processing, including profiling, and that your application will be subject to human intervention and to express your point of view where automated processing is used;
· request to withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal data (to the extent such processing is based on consent and consent is the only permissible basis for processing);
· complain to a Data Protection Authority in your country.
Exercising your rights
In order to exercise your data privacy rights you can access the following link or contact your local HR department.
Please only submit applications for a current position using the proper channels (e.g. on Unilever career sites). Receiving your request at the right contact point helps us process your request faster.”
This Privacy Notice may be changed over time. This Privacy Notice was last updated in November 2019.