UNILEVER PRIVACY PRINCIPLES
Unilever takes privacy seriously. The following principles guide our treatment of your personal information:
- We value the trust you place in Unilever when sharing your personal information with us.
- We strive to be transparent with you about what information we collect, what we do with it and with whom we share it.
- We will work with you to promptly address your concerns about how we use your personal information.
- We will take steps to keep your personal information secure and to protect it from misuse.
Last Updated: December 1, 2019
The Policy also applies to information collected offline through our Careline and consumer call centres, direct marketing campaigns, sweepstakes and competitions, in-store, and through any other interactions you may have with us.
In this Policy, your "personal information" means information or pieces of information that could allow you to be identified. This typically includes information such as your name, address, screen name, profile picture, email address, and telephone number, but can also include other information such as IP address, shopping habits, preferences and information about your lifestyle or preferences such as your hobbies and interests.
Below, we set out examples of the types of personal information we collect about you:
· Contact Information. For example, we may collect your name, mailing address, telephone number and email address. We may also collect your mobile phone number.
· Demographic Information. We may collect your birthdate, age, gender and postal code. We may also collect information that could identify you and relates to your hobbies, interests and shopping behavior.
· Information You Post. We may collect information you post in a public space on our Platform, such as on our Ratings & Reviews feature.
· Social Media Information. We may collect information you post on our social media pages. We may also collect your social media profile information and information posted on your page.
· Employment Information. If you apply for a job through our Platform, we collect the information you include in your application. For example, this may include the name and address of your employer and your employment history.
· Information You Submit. We may collect information when you send us a message through the “Contact Us” page or similar features on our Platform. This may include photos, videos and other user-generated content that you submit.
· Device Information. For example, we may collect the type of device you use to access our Platform. We may also collect your device identifier, IP address or mobile operating system.
· Location Information. For example, we may collect precise location information from your device. This may include information about your exact location when you use our Platform. We may also collect this information in the background when our mobile applications are not in use. For more information about your options related to the collection of your location information, see the Choices section below.
· Payment Information. For example, we may collect your name, email address, phone number, credit card number and billing address.
· Other Information. If you use our website, we may collect information about the browser you are using. We might look at what site you came from, or what site you visit when you leave us. If you register on the Platform, we may collect your username, profile picture, gender, networks and any other information you choose to share when using third party sites (such as when you use the “like” functionality on Facebook).
Unilever collects your information in different ways. Below are some examples of how we may collect your information.
· Directly From You. For example, when you:
o Register for an account.
o Purchase products or services through our Platform.
o Sign up to receive promotional communications.
o Request a sample or coupon.
o Join a loyalty, rewards or similar program or club.
o Participate in one of our promotional sweepstakes, contests, surveys, or focus groups.
o Use the Ratings & Reviews or related services and features.
o Submit a ticket or case to our Consumer Service team.
o Interact with Unilever social media pages.
o Apply for a job through our Platform.
· Passively. For example, when you:
o Install and use Unilever mobile apps.
o Visit and navigate our Platform on any device.
o Enable location-based features on our Platform.
o Click on sponsored links or third-party advertisements.
We may also collect information about users over time and across different websites, apps and devices when you use the Platform. Third parties also collect personal information this way on our Platform.
· From Third Parties. We may receive information about you from other sources. For example, this may include receiving information from:
o Our business partners, including online advertising networks, analytics vendors, and companies that co-sponsor our promotions.
o Social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Snapchat and Instagram.
o Third party sites, including those that allow you to integrate your third-party account with your Unilever account.
o Family, friends and others who provide your information to us because they think you may be interested in our products and services or they want to share a product or service with you.
o Companies (e.g., retailers) that provide information to supplement what we already know about you, including data aggregators. Certain third parties might link your name or email address to other information they have collected. That might include past purchases made offline or online. It might also include online usage information.
· By Combining Information. For example, we may:
o Combine information that we collect offline with information we collect through our Platform.
o Combine information we collect about you from the different devices you use to access our Platform.
o Combine information we get from third parties with information we already have about you.
We may use your personal information in the following ways:
· To Provide Our Products and Services. This could include fulfilling your requests for products or services. It could also include processing purchases or other transactions.
· To Improve Our Products and Services. We may use your personal information to make our Platform, products and services better. We may also use your personal information to customize your experience with us.
· To Understand Your Interests. For example, we may use your personal information to better understand what products interest you.
· To Respond to Your Requests or Questions. This may include responding to your feedback or notifying you if you win a promotion.
· To Communicate With You. We may communicate with you about your account or our relationship. We may also contact you about this Policy or our Platform terms and conditions.
· To Determine Your Eligibility. We may use your personal information to verify your identity or determine your eligibility for some of our products, services and promotions. For example, this may include verifying your age, date of birth and state of residence. If you apply for a job through our Platform, we may use the personal information you provide to evaluate your application.
· For Marketing Purposes. We may provide you with information about new products and special offers. We might use your personal information to serve you ads about products and offers. We might tell you about new features or updates. These might be third-party offers or products we think you might find interesting. We may also use your personal information to send you electronic communications, including through email or text message.
· For Interest-Based Advertising. We and our third party partners may engage in interest-based advertising using personal information gathered across multiple websites, devices, or other platforms to serve you relevant advertising on our Platform or on other sites, services and mobile applications or on other devices you may use. For more information about your choices related to these communications, see the “Online Advertising and Third Party Tracking” section below.
· For Security Purposes. This could include protecting our company and consumers who use our products and services. It may also include protecting our Platform.
· To Send Push Notifications. If you use our mobile apps, we may send you push notifications about new products or special offers.
· As Otherwise Permitted By Law or As We May Notify You.
Visiting the Platform
In general, you can visit our Platform without telling us who you are or submitting any personal information. However, we collect the IP (Internet protocol) addresses of all visitors to our Platform and other related information such as page requests, browser type, operating system and average time spent on our Platform. We use this information to help us understand our Platform activity and to monitor and improve our Platform.
We may also use a third party such as Google Analytics to help us gather and analyze information about the areas visited on the Platform (such as the pages most read, time spent, search terms and other engagement data) in order to evaluate and improve the user experience and the Platform. For more information or to opt-out using the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, see “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” and “Google Analytics and Privacy”.
We work with third parties (e.g., advertisers, advertising agencies, advertising networks, data exchanges, etc.) that use their own tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on our Platform in order to deliver to you tailored content on the Platform or other third party sites, including more relevant advertising for products and services which may be of interest to you. These third parties may collect information about your activity on our Platform and third-party websites (such as web pages you visit and your interaction with our advertising and other communications) and may set and access their own cookies, clear gifs and similar tracking technologies on your device in order to help us or these third parties deliver tailored content and advertising to you when you visit the Platform or third party sites based on predictions about your interests generated from your online browsing activities across websites.
To learn more and to opt-out of having your information used for online behavioural advertising purposes by participating companies, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (DAAC) at http://youradchoices.ca/choices.
Please note that if you opt-out, you may still receive online advertising from us but it will not be tailored to your interests based on online behavioural information about you. To successfully opt out, you must have cookies enabled in your web browser (see your browser’s instructions for information on cookies and how to enable them). Your opt-out only applies to the web browser you use so you must opt-out of each web browser on each computer you use. Once you opt out, if you delete your browser’s saved cookies, you will need to opt-out again.
We do not sell or disclose your personal information to third parties without your consent, except as set forth below or as required or permitted by law:
· On our Platform. For example, we may display information you post on our Ratings & Reviews feature. We may also display information you submit in connection with a promotion.
· With Our Service Providers. We may share your information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. For example, this may include merchandise vendors and payment processors. It may also include companies that send emails on our behalf or help us run our Platform. Our service providers may be located in the U.S., Canada, or other foreign jurisdiction.
· With Our Business Partners. For example, this may include a third party that co-sponsors a contest or promotion. We may also share information with data aggregators, advertisers, media buying agencies, advertising networks and advertising service providers.
· With Third Parties for Marketing Purposes only if you have provided your prior consent. This may include third parties in whose products or services we believe you may be interested. These third parties may also share your information with others. These third parties may use your information for their own marketing purposes or the marketing purposes of others. This may include the delivery of interest-based advertising. Please refer to the “Cookies, Analytics, and Interest-Based Advertising” section above for further information.
· With Any Successors to All or Part of Our Business or One of Our Brands. We may transfer any information we have about you as an asset in connection with a proposed or completed merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of Unilever or as part of a corporate reorganization or other change in corporate control.
· To Comply With the Law or To Protect Ourselves. We and our service providers may provide your personal information if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is necessary in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to another organization for the purposes of investigating a breach of an agreement or contravention of law or detecting, suppressing or preventing fraud, or as otherwise may be required or permitted by applicable Canadian, U.S. or other law or legal process, which may include lawful access by U.S. or foreign courts, law enforcement or other government authorities. This could include fraud we think has occurred during a sweepstakes or promotion. We may also share information if you are the winner of a sweepstakes or other contest with anyone who requests a winner’s list. Your personal information may also be disclosed where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims and to investigate or prevent actual or suspected loss or harm to persons or property.
· For Other Reasons We May Describe to You.
The Platform is designed and intended for use by adults. Where the Platform is intended for use by a younger audience, we will obtain consent where necessary from a parent or guardian before we collect, use, or disclose personal information from their children. We also strive to collect the minimum amount of personal information from children necessary to provide them with the services requested and communicate with them. Such personal information may include contact information, demographic information, and device information (as described in “Types of Information We Collect”). We use and disclose this information as indicated in "How We Use Your Information" and "How We Share Your Personal Information." If you are a child over the age where parental consent is required in your country, you should review the terms of this Policy with your parent or guardian to make sure you understand and accept them.
If we discover that we have collected information without consent from a parent or guardian where such consent should have been obtained, we will delete that information as soon as possible.
Access to certain parts of the Platform and/or eligibility to receive prizes, samples or other rewards may be limited to users over a certain age. We may use your personal information to carry out age verification checks and enforce any such age restrictions.
You have certain choices about how we use your information. Certain choices you make are browser and device specific.
You can opt out of receiving our marketing communications. Note that you will still receive transactional messages from us, including information about your account and responses to your inquiries. To opt out of receiving our marketing communications, you can contact us as follows:
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us at 416-415-3000 or 1-888-568-7644 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM – 9:00 PM Eastern)
Send us a letter at:
Unilever Canada Inc
160 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Another way to opt-out of receiving Unilever promotional emails or text messages is to follow the unsubscribe instructions included with the communication
Alternatively, you may visit: https://secure.unilevercanada.com/en_ca/remove.aspx.
You Can Opt-Out of Behavioral Advertising:
As indicated above, to opt out of having us collect your online behavior for advertising purposes, please visit http://youradchoices.ca/choices .
Mobile Application and Location Based Services:
If you have previously opted into Unilever collection and use of location-based information through our mobile applications, you may opt-out by adjusting the settings on your mobile device.
You may completely opt-out of all location-based information collection by Unilever if you uninstall all Unilever mobile apps from your devices.
Cookies & Other Tracking Technologies:
We take reasonable precautions to keep your personal information secure and require any third parties that handle or process your personal information for us to do the same.
The Internet is not 100% secure. We cannot promise that your use of our Platform will be completely safe. We encourage you to use caution when using the Internet. We use reasonable means to safeguard personal information under our control. A user id and a password are needed to access certain areas of the Platform. It is your responsibility to protect your username and password.
We have record retention processes designed to retain personal information for no longer than necessary for the purposes set out herein or as otherwise required to meet legal or business requirements.
Subject to limited exceptions under applicable law, you have the right to access, update and correct inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody or control. You may request access, updating and corrections of inaccuracies in your personal information in our custody or control by emailing or writing to us at the contact information set out below. We may request certain personal information for the purpose of verifying the identity of the individual seeking access to his or her personal information records.
Our Platform may contain links to other third party sites that are not governed by this Policy. If you click on a link to a third party site, you will be taken to a site we do not control. We are not responsible for the privacy practices used by third party sites. We suggest that you read the privacy policies of those sites carefully. We are not responsible for these third party sites.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about how we or our service providers handle your personal information, or wish to access, update, or correct your personal information in our custody or control, you may contact us at email@example.com or by telephone at 416-415-3000 or 1-888-568-7644. You may also write to us at the following address:
Unilever Canada Inc
160 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400