UNILEVER PRIVACY PRINCIPLES
Unilever takes your privacy seriously. The following principles guide our treatment of your personal information:
- We value the trust you place in Unilever when sharing your personal information with us.
- We strive to be transparent with you about what information we collect, what we do with it and with whom we share it.
- We will work with you to promptly address your concerns about how we use your personal information.
- We will take steps to keep your personal information secure and to protect it from misuse.
Effective Date: September 15, 2018
- Contact Information. For example, we may collect your name, mailing address, telephone number and email address. We may also collect your mobile phone number.
- Payment Information. For example, we may collect your credit card number and billing address.
- Information You Post. We may collect information you post in a public space on our Platform, such as on our Ratings & Reviews feature.
- Social Media Information. We may collect information you post on our social media pages. We may also collect your social media profile information and information posted on your page.
- Employment Information. If you apply for a job through our Platform, we collect the information you include in your application. For example, this may include the name and address of your employer and your employment history.
- Information You Submit. We may collect information when you send us a message through the “Contact Us” page or similar features on our Platform. We may also collect information when you enter a promotion. This may include photos, videos and other user-generated content that you submit.
- Demographic Information. We may collect your birthdate, age, gender and zip code. We may also collect information that could identify you and relates to your hobbies, interests and shopping behavior.
- Device Information. For example, we may collect the type of device you use to access our Platform. We may also collect your device identifier, IP address or mobile operating system.
- Location Information. For example, we may collect precise location information from your device. This may include information about your exact location when you use our Platform. We may also collect this information in the background when our mobile applications are not in use. For more information about your options related to the collection of your location information, see the Choices section below.
- Other Information. If you use our website, we may collect information about the browser you are using. We might look at what site you came from, or what site you visit when you leave us. If you use our app, we might look at how often you use the app and where you downloaded it.
Unilever collects your information in different ways. Below are some examples of how we may collect your information.
- Directly From You. For example, when you:
- Register for an account.
- Purchase products or services through our Platform.
- Sign up to receive promotional communications.
- Request a sample.
- Join a loyalty, rewards or similar program or club.
- Participate in one of our promotional sweepstakes, contests, surveys, or focus groups.
- Use the Ratings & Reviews or related services and features.
- Submit a request to our Consumer Service team.
- Interact with Unilever social media pages.
- Apply for a job through our Platform.
- Passively. For example, when you:
- Install and use Unilever mobile apps.
- Visit and navigate our Platform on any device.
- Enable location-based features on our Platform.
- Click on sponsored links or third-party advertisements.
We may also collect information about users over time and across different websites, apps and devices when you use the Platform. Third parties also collect personal information this way on our Platform.
- From Third Parties. We may receive information about you from other sources. For example, this may include receiving information from:
- Our business partners, including online advertising networks, analytics vendors, and companies that co-sponsor our promotions.
- Social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Snapchat and Instagram.
- Third party sites, including those that allow you to integrate your third-party account with your Unilever account.
- Family, friends and others who provide your information to us because they think you may be interested in our products and services or they want to share a product or service with you.
- Companies that provide information to supplement what we already know about you, including data aggregators. Certain third parties might link your name or email address to other information they have collected. That might include past purchases made offline or online. It might also include online usage information.
- By Combining Information. For example, we may:
- Combine information that we collect offline with information we collect through our Platform.
- Combine information we collect about you from the different devices you use to access our Platform.
- Combine information we get from third parties with information we already have about you.
- Directly From You. For example, when you:
Examples of how we may use your information include:
- To Provide Our Products and Services. This could include fulfilling your requests for products or services. It could also include processing purchases or other transactions.
- To Improve Our Products and Services. We may use your information to make our Platform, products and services better. We may also use your information to customize your experience with us.
- To Understand Your Interests. For example, we may use your information to better understand what products interest you.
- To Respond to Your Requests or Questions. This may include responding to your feedback or notifying you if you win a promotion.
- To Communicate With You. We may communicate with you about your account or our relationship. We may also contact you about this Policy or our Platform terms and conditions.
- To Determine Your Eligibility. We may use your information to verify your identity or determine your eligibility for some of our products, services and promotions. For example, this may include verifying your age, date of birth and state of residence. If you apply for a job through our Platform, we may use this information to evaluate your application.
- For Marketing Purposes. We may provide you with information about new products and special offers. We might use your information to serve you ads about products and offers. We might tell you about new features or updates. These might be third party offers or products we think you might find interesting. We may also use your information to send you electronic communications, including through email or text message. We and our partners may engage in interest-based advertising using information gathered across multiple websites, devices, or other platforms. For more information about your choices related to these communications, see the Choices section below.
- For Security Purposes. This could include protecting our company and consumers who use our products and services. It may also include protecting our Platform.
- To Send Push Notifications. If you use our mobile apps, we may send you push notifications about new products or special offers.
- As Otherwise Permitted By Law or As We May Notify You.
We may share your information in the following ways:
- Internally. We may share your information within the Unilever Group of companies and brands
- On our Platform. For example, we may display information you post on our Ratings & Reviews feature. We may also display information you submit in connection with a promotion.
- With Our Service Providers. We may share your information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. For example, this may include merchandise vendors and payment processors. It may also include companies that send emails on our behalf or help us run our Platform.
- With Our Business Partners. For example, this may include a third party that co-sponsors a contest or promotion. We may also share information with data aggregators, advertisers, media buying agencies, advertising networks and advertising service providers.
- With Third Parties for Marketing Purposes. This may include third parties in whose products or services we believe you may be interested. These third parties may also share your information with others. These third parties may use your information for their own marketing purposes or the marketing purposes of others. This may include the delivery of interest-based advertising.
- With Any Successors to All or Part of Our Business or One of Our Brands. For example, if Unilever merges with, acquires or is acquired, or sells a brand or part of its business to another business entity. This may include an asset sale, corporate reorganization or other change of control.
- To Comply With the Law or To Protect Ourselves. For example, this could include responding to a court order or subpoena. It could also include sharing information if a government agency or investigatory body requests. We might share information when we are investigating a potential fraud. This could include fraud we think has occurred during a sweepstakes or promotion. We may also share information if you are the winner of a sweepstakes or other contest with anyone who requests a winner’s list.
- For Other Reasons We May Describe to You.
Our Platform is generally intended for adults. From time to time, select features on our Platform may be available to children under the age of 13 ("Children") and, in certain instances, we may be required to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA"). To meet our obligations under COPPA when applicable, we take steps to obtain consent from parents or legal guardians prior to collecting, using and disclosing personal information from their Children. We also strive to collect the minimum amount of personal information from Children necessary to provide them with the services requested and communicate with them. Such personal information may include contact information, demographic information and device information (as described in "Types of Information We Collect"). We use and disclose this information as indicated in "How We Use Your Information" and "How We Share Your Information." In addition, personal information submitted by Children may be publically available on our platform.
COPPA grants parents and legal guardians the rights to review or have deleted their Children's personal information, and to refuse to permit further collection or use of their Children's personal information. If you are a parent or legal guardian and would like to exercise these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact us at the address or telephone number listed at the end of this Policy. Please mark your inquiries “COPPA Information Request.” You can also learn more about how to protect children's privacy on-line here.
You have certain choices about how we use your information. Certain choices you make are browser and device specific.
You can opt out of receiving our marketing communications. Note that you will still receive transactional messages from us, including information about your account and responses to your inquiries. To opt out of receiving our marketing communications, you can contact us as follows:
- Send us an email at email@example.com
- Call us at 1-800-298-5018 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM – 9:00 PM Eastern)
- Send us a letter at:
Attention: Consumer Engagement Center
700 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
- Another way to opt-out of receiving Unilever promotional emails or text messages is to follow the instructions included with the communication.
You Can Opt-Out of Behavioral Advertising:
To opt out of having us collect your online behavior for advertising purposes, please visit our Ad Choices policy here.
Mobile Application and Location Based Services:
- If you have previously opted into Unilever collection and use of location-based information through our mobile applications, you may opt-out by adjusting the settings on your mobile device.
- You may completely opt-out of all location-based information collection by Unilever if you uninstall all Unilever mobile apps from your devices.
Cookies & Other Tracking Technologies:
Our Do Not Track Policy:
- Some browsers have “do not track” features that allow you to tell a website not to track you. These features are not all uniform. We do not currently respond to those signals. If you block cookies, certain features on our sites may not work. If you block or reject cookies, not all of the tracking described here will stop.
- Options you select are browser and device specific.
If you reside in California, you have the right to ask us one time each year if we have shared personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make a request, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at the address listed below. Indicate in your email or letter that you are a California resident making a "California Shine the Light" inquiry.
The Internet is not 100% secure. We cannot promise that your use of our Platform will be completely safe. We encourage you to use caution when using the Internet. We use reasonable means to safeguard personal information under our control. A user id and a password are needed to access certain areas of the Unilever Platform. It is your responsibility to protect your username and password.
Information we maintain may be stored in or outside of the United States. If you live outside of the United States, you understand and agree that we may transfer your personal information to the United States. This Platform is intended for use in the United States and is subject to the laws of the United States, which may not provide the same level of protections as those in your own country.
Our Platform may contain links to other third party sites that are not governed by this Policy. If you click on a link to a third party site, you will be taken to a site we do not control. We are not responsible for the privacy practices used by third party sites. We suggest that you read the privacy policies of those sites carefully. We are not responsible for these third party sites.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns with respect to our privacy practices or this Policy, or wish to update your information, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or by telephone at 1-800-298-5018. You may also write to us at the following address:
Attn: Consumer Engagement Center
700 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
From time to time, we may change our Policy. We will notify you of any material changes to our Policy as required by law. We will also post an updated copy on our Platform. Please check our Platform periodically for updates.